Host Jeremy C. Park talks with Jeff Hallam, Vice President of Business Development at Human Capital Concepts, who discusses how the company helps small businesses and nonprofits simply being an employer by helping them offload the administrative and regulatory work and responsibility that goes along with having a team of employees. During the interview, Jeff talks about being a Professional Employer Organization (PEO), how they have been helping their clients over the past year with all of the challenges and new regulations that have come during the pandemic, including PPP loans, PPP forgiveness, FFCRA, ERTC and the newer ARPA. Jeff also highlights their philanthropic efforts and some of the many ways the company and his team give back to support nonprofits and the community.
HCC helps small businesses simplify being an employer
- We do this by helping them offload the administrative and regulatory work/responsibility that goes along with having a team of employees
- Lots of components = onboarding, online benefit enrollment, payroll, taxes, benefit plan administration, 401k administration, HR issues, compliance guidance & assistance, etc.
- Term for what we do is Professional Employer Organization (PEO)
- We’ve committed the extra effort, reporting, and expense to meet the Certified Professional Employer Organization (CPEO) standards via the IRS
Most owners or CEO’s want to focus on growth vs government-mandated rules and regulations = we help them stay focused by taking on these distractions
For many small businesses = this is a logical part of their organization to outsource, just like accounting and legal. Going this route leads organizations to faster growth and better recruiting/retention of talent.
We’ve been able to significantly help our clients over the past year with all of the challenges and new regulations that have been by-products of the pandemic. Instead of them having to figure things out on their own (PPP loans, PPP forgiveness, FFCRA, ERTC, and the newer ARPA) we’ve done the legwork and have provided them with timely guidance on what these things mean and how they impact their companies.
Our biggest competitive differentiator (relative to larger, national providers) is how we match clients with 1:1 team members in each area of expertise — this avoids call centers, 800 numbers, and lots of red tape for clients and their employees. People really like working with people they know and who get to know them.
We focus a good amount on giving back to the community in a variety of ways:
- Employee-led donation committee that selects annual targets for HCC company donations
- HCC matches us to $100/year/employee for charitable donations of their choosing
- We provide up to 16 paid hours/year/employee for them to volunteer their time to organizations of their choosing
- We discount our fees to nonprofit clients, as well as to start-up clients