Host Jeremy C. Park talks with Jennifer Turner, President and CEO of the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC), who discusses their dedication to leading with excellence in the performing arts and arts education, creating meaningful and relevant experiences to enrich lives, strengthen communities, and support economic vitality. During the interview, Turner highlights TPAC’s 40th Anniversary Celebration taking place virtually on February 20, their Broadway Programming and Educational Programs in the community, the shift to virtual events and performances during the pandemic, the season ahead, and much more.
- TPAC’s role in the Nashville Community
- How TPAC serves our community
- What TPAC is known best for (Broadway Programming and reach of cultural offerings)
- Performance venues TPAC manages and Resident Companies
- How TPAC fulfills its nonprofit mission in Tennessee outside of events and programming and serves as a Center for Learning for 45,000 students, teachers, and individuals.
TPAC Education Programs in the Community
- Season for Young People
- Disney Musicals in Schools Program
- Inside Out Program
- Wolftrap Early Learning Through the Arts
- The Spotlight Awards
Impact of Covid-19 on TPAC
Note: TPAC Theaters have been shut down since March 2020, resulting in the cancellation or postponement of over 360 performances.
- Ways that TPAC has adapted during the shutdown
- Virtual Programming options for patrons
- Salon Series
- Education and Community Outreach initiatives
- Holiday gift to the community – Mark Cabus “A Christmas Carol”
Information about upcoming programs and initiatives at TPAC
- Reopening theaters
- Looking past Covid-19, to TPAC future, and what the organization will look like in a decade
- TPAC’s 40th Anniversary Celebration – Saturday, Feb. 20 at 7 p.m.
40th Anniversary Celebration:
- Favorite moments at the organization as TPAC’s President, and throughout TPAC’s history. This includes TPAC’s premiere engagement of Hamilton in January 2020, collaboration with Studio Tenn on Evita, working with Dolly Parton on the opening of the 9 to 5 tour, and other moments.
- TPAC’s 40th Anniversary Celebration will be presented as a free virtual presentation on February 20 as a gift to the community for their support the past 40 years.
- Patrons can go to org/Celebrate to reserve access to watch the 40th Anniversary Celebration. After registering, patrons will be sent a link to view.
- The celebration is hosted by actress Tamiko Robinson Steele and features performances from Nashville Ballet, Nashville Opera and Nashville Repertory Theatre, plus special guest appearances by Tony Award-nominee Susan Egan, actress and recording artist Diana DeGarmo, Spotlight Award-winner Hatty King, and more.
- The celebration is produced by award-winning director Matt Logan and filmed by MA2LA at TPAC.
- The 40th Anniversary Celebration is free to view, but patrons have the option of pre-purchasing gourmet dinner and appetizer packages from Juniper Green with proceeds going to TPAC’s Forward! Recovery Fund.
- Other community partners are also helping TPAC Celebrate. Goo Goo Cluster has created “The Encore” a delicious special edition Goo Goo created to commemorate TPAC’s “ruby” anniversary. This red velvet fudge, cream cheese ganache, chocolate sandwich cookies, and pearlized white chocolate confection is a sweet reminder of four decades of high-quality performing arts and the impact arts education programs make in our community. Ten percent (10%) of all sales of the Goo Goo will be donated to the TPAC Forward! Recovery Fund.
How the community can support TPAC during the shutdown:
In May 2020, TPAC launched the TPAC Forward! Recovery Fund so that donors and supporters have a way to sustain TPAC and help it return stronger than ever. Patrons have a variety of options to support TPAC right now, including giving to the TPAC Forward! Fund, donating the value of tickets to the organization, or participating in a variety of fundraising opportunities.
40th Anniversary Information:
Saturday, February 20 at 7 p.m. RSVP and to Reserve Meal Packages: www.TPAC.org/Celebrate