Demetrius Short, CEO and Founder of the Transformation Life Center, and Myles Harris, President of their Student Advisory Board, talks about the organization and it’s mission to Ignite, Inspire, and Transform the lives of college students and youth living in underserved communities. During the interview, Short and Harris discuss their 10th Annual Steps of Success virtual 5k run/walk, which raises money for scholarships, and their Pathway to Success Initiative, which is their life changing program that develops students and inner city youth into leaders, equipping them with the necessary tools to overcome barriers and succeed in life. They also talk about the power of relationships and their newest endeavor focused on helping students with their virtual learning.
- Our mission: Ignite (purpose), Inspire (success) and Transform the lives of collegiate students and youth living in underserved communities.
- Vision Statement: Cultivating Tomorrow’s Leaders, Today!
- We are celebrating 10 years as a non-profit organization! We are in the middle of our 10th Annual Steps of Success VIRTUAL 5K run/walk fundraiser (kick off was September 12th and Demetrius ran 3.1 miles in a suit and sneakers for the 10th year with over 600 virtual runners! Over 13 million steps have been taken over 10 years to help fuel our mission and vision! We can talk a little bit about the story behind the 5K run/walk and why Demetrius runs in a suit and why Transformation Life Center is so important to the community.
- I invited Mr. Myles Harris, one of our amazing success stories to join me on this interview. I would LOVE to have a candid conversation about the various barriers students and young professionals are dealing with due to COVID-19. Myles recently graduated from Fisk University and we were instrumental in developing and creating a pathway to success for him to an amazing job at HCA despite the pandemic. I would love for Myles to share how TLC helped him and the important work TLC does in the community. Our Pathway to Success Initiative (P2SI) is our life changing program that develops students and inner city youth into leaders, equipping them with the necessary tools to overcome barriers and succeed in life.
- Myles can share some of the traumatic experiences he and other students face having their graduation taken away due to covid-19 and how so many students didn’t have an outlet of support. We helped him secure an internship in 2019 that led to a Full Time job at HCA he loves and doing very well.
- We want to tell our story and bring awareness to ways the audience can partner to help us fulfill our mission. 95% of the students we impact are African American/Black students. We are facing tough times with social injustice and TLC is taking a leading position to help African American students overcome various barriers in society and THRIVE in their communities and Corporate America.